Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tango milongas, Argentina

My trip to Buenos Aires finally included a sort of experience of the Tango, the national dance of Argentina, under my tight budget. I and my new friend from france went to a milongas occurring between 11 pm to 2 am, as recommended by our hostel. Inside the milongas, many locals dance. We bargained for half price (10 AR pesos) since we did not plan to dance.

I warned my girlfriend to avoid any eye contact with men so we do not have to dance. The tour book said that if you don't want to dance be careful of the eye contact you make.

However, at least three guys approached us. My friend told them she did not know how to tango, and I only had to point at my sport sandals and hiking outfit. The last guy was from New York and he insisted that I should try at least one dance. I could barely remember how to tamgo since Last time I did it at college. So there I was, tangoing with my sport sandals and hiking outfit.

Later a local couple joined our table and chatted with us. They even kindly shared beers with us. Right before we planned to leave, a visiting band started live tango music which was quite good. So we stayed for a few songs. Since my I-pod touch has no flashlight, the photos are dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment