Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Arrived Peru

The overnight bus of 9 hrs was nothing new, and the customs were friendly. However, the suburb of Piura looked like a desert full of dust and dirt. The bus terminal and the surrounding were caotical. I had no sense where to go next and where to get local currency. Worst of all, I am afraid to be rubbed or to be carried by a taxi driver to a human labor market. Fear and panic!

Again, god pitied me and sent me two angles who came from Belgian, travel in Peru and speak fluent Spanish and English. With their help, I got out of the bud terminal to get to a right bus company for tickets, got local currency, toured around piura, and got oriented about what to do and what not to do in Peru.

The bus companies operate in their own locations in Peru, rather than sharing a central terminal as in Colombia and ecuador. The taxi drivers here try their best to lure/lie to you to where you do not what to go. After several hours of coaching by my new friends, I am ready to travel solo in Peru, although still very worried. Pray for me.

The city center is like an oisis in the desert, and it happened to have an animal protection parade today by elementary school kids in costumes. We also enjoyed the best vegetarian food I ever had. A lunch with a soup, main course, juice, and fruit yogurt cited just 2.5 Usd. The soup was simply delicious with some magic spice and different kinds of vege and grands. The main course has one half cucumber stuffed with a mix of egg white, vege ham, olive, etc. Wish I know the receipts.

They went Lima directly, while I went to Trujillo (6 hrs) in luxury buses with on board free wifi. I am so gracious for their help; otherwise, I would had been stuck in the bus terminal for hours if I ever figured our all the i formation i needed with my almost non-existing Spanish. To survive in Peru on my own, I need to learn Spanish ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment