Friday, October 28, 2011

Transfer via Lima part 2

I had a rush start by running into downtown huaraz at 8:30 am to buy a 55 liter backpack. I run back to hostel to quickly repack and then run to the bus terminal 5 minutes before the departure at 9:30 am. I looked for the staff to check my bag , jumped into the bus, and barely catches up with my breath when sit down. Not a great way to start a day.

Everything moved as scheduled until near 4 pm in the after when I assumed that the bus should have arrived Lima. I asked fellow passengers how far we were away from central Lima and they urged me to get off at an earlier stop to take a taxi so I would stand a chance to catch the bus at 5:30 pm toward chile border.

As the time passed, I become more anxious. My options were either staying one night at Lima or gambling to catch the bus during rush hours.

Once the bus got to the earlier stop, I run to the bus driver and the luggage staff with a paper showing the bus and time I needed to catch. They realized the urgency and dragged out my luggage and led me to a taxi. My risky option left my fate to god and the taxi driver.

The taxi driver appeared to apprehend my urgent situation and drove like an embulance. However, the rush traffic was very tight. As he maneuvered via small alleys, time was passing and I felt we were further away from the destination and more hopeless. I felt like crying to run into such a mass, but still managed to negotiate down the taxi fare when we arrived at the bus terminal at 5:40 pm.

I run into the terminal ticketing table and waved my paper with destination and time. The lady looked at me with sympathy and shout to the luggage staff to see if the bus left for sure. I started winning like a crying baby and bagged for help with the luggage stuff because I really did not want to spend the night in lima.
Lucky me! The stuff waved hand to the bus driver to see if he could stop to take me. And the terminal stuff was so kind to calm me down and led me to the ticket counter, the luggage counter, and the security check to set me on the bus. I gave him, the bus driver, and the ticket lady each a big kiss on the cheek. Thank them and my perseverance that I actually got on 5:30 pm bus at 5:40 pm. This bus company is famous for punctuality and offering wifi on board.

I will avoid stressing myself and stretching my luck so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment