Friday, October 28, 2011

Santa Cruz hike in the national park In Huaraz, Peru

This 4-day hike leads to a pass at 4750 meters high which is higher than the dead woman pass 4215 meters of the inca trail of machu pichu. However, it's total length is only about 50 km, and the longest uphill alivation change on a day was 500 meters, rather than 900 meters as in inca trail.

This hike was easier for me than the inca trail further becase it was fully supported so that I did not carry my own sleeping mat and bag. In addition, it's cost was only 25% of the once trail hike. I like the mountain range here better than the ruin along the inca trail.

I had minor headache when arrived huaraz in the early morning and then jumped right on a tour at 9 am. When finished the tour back in town at 6:30 pm, I shopped in town for 45 minutes and signed up for this Santa Cruz hike at 7:15 pm. Thereafter, I had a quick dinner then rushed back to my hostel to pack for the 4-day hike strating from 6:30 am next morning.

I still had headache on the 1st day. Fortunately, the 1st day was easy. It was only 11 km with 800 meter elevation gain. But the sleeping mat was thin and I wad cold that I barely got any sleep at the 1st night.

I exercised a lot of will power to finished the 2nd day 22 km and 700 meters alivation Change. I almost bared out the optional gracier hike of 3-hr and 200 meter alivation gain. But I finished it by taking 2 power naps on the way. God blessed me. I put on all my clothes for the 2nd night and got some sleep. Not much because me and my tentmate dragged the shared cover the whole night. The 2rd day had the best weather and we passed two beautiful lakes.

The 3rd day was the hardest since it included 500 meters up and 1000 meters down vertically that were spreader over 16 km, and we walked via the 4750 high pass. On that day, we also heard bad news that a DIY couple hikers camped close to us had their stove and hiking boots stolen. God blesses them hike safely out out the mountain range. I had never images this sort of crime would have happened.

The last day was just 7 km yet with 800 meters elevation change. The weather was mirrible so I felt quite lucky to enjoyed the earlier days.

I was tired but still went to the bus companies to book my tickets to chile. It will involve several long bus rides. You will see update again after 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment