Monday, October 31, 2011

Tour Lauca National Park near Arica, Chile

There are archaeological and natural wonders in Lauca National Park, including the geoglyphs at Putre, and the high altitude lake Chungara. The tout guide only speaks Spanish, yet an American couple visiting from Boston kindly summarized the highlights. They live in the same apartment as I did when I was in boston. Small world!

I would rather take a public bus to a small town Putre then hike the peak of 6300 meters, than taking this 12 hrs tour just to walk around the lake at 4500 meter for half an hour. I learned about the hike option after I paid for the tour and a bus ticket to calama. Well, next life. I stayed at a nicer hostel which yet is not for backpackers and has no hiking info.

I stopped by another hostel Sunny Days on my 2nd day in Arica and chatted with the owner from new zealand for over 1 hr about my iternary for chile and argentine as well my travel experience of US national parks. We had a great time although I could not hike the national park or move to his hostel (sold out). I did share the info with my roommate of the 1st hostel and hope she can hike there.

No comments:

Post a Comment