Friday, September 23, 2011

Arrived ecuador

It was a busmarathorn day, totaled 12 hrs. The border crossing went smoothly. Somehow I naturally attract helpers, even in Ecuador. Most of the time elder women automatically adopt me and grabe my hand to a place I should go. Alternatively, more experienced backpackers come to my rescue. I am trying to learn more spanish so I can ask questions and know more about the place. Unfortunately, my progress is very limited.

Cost of living in Ecuador is even lower than Colombia. For example, the cost of 1 hr bus ride is only $1 USD, half of colombian price. But you still need to bargain for better prices, even for tours. Ecuador is real a dollar country. A taxi ride is $1. A plate of food is $1. A beer is $1. A roast chicken stick is $1. 4 oranges are $1.

I was rather disappointed by the fact that it is very difficult to get info without using spanish and the inferstructure does not facilitate traveler to visit locations just by bus. I woke up early to check out the market and could not find English speakers until 10 am. Fortunately I found two tour companies to sign up for two hikes.

Another inconvenience is wifi connection which is not available at hostel so I have to either go to a web cafe with limited open hours or searching other means. I am typing at the plaza now using the wifi of my travel agency after it is closed. Enough for one day.

My 1st night at Otavalo included two personal stories. One was a Chinese restaurant owner who kindly prepared wuloon tea in addition to the combination noodles for me, and explained the economy in Ecuador to me, and why it is harder for him to open a restaurant in china than in south America. Another one was my roommate visiting from Finland to work and live humblely in a nearby farm over 2 months to rediscover her life after a few years of working.

1 comment:

  1. Really, you are a south american trotter, good luck on your path

    ReplyDelete