Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hike around the volcano Mama Cotacschi near Otavalo, Ecuador

Not enough people to form a 9-hr hiking group to the peak of 4939 m, so i took a shorter 4-hr hike around it instead, from 3100 m to a 3500 m viewpoint, to check out Amdean flora and the unique landscape.

My lake hike turned out to be a private tour since the other guest was sick and dropped out. It was a much easier hike so we finished 1 hr ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, my native tour guide's cell phone had no reception at the lake area. I faithfully demonstrated my us hitchhiking skills and finially got a car driver with a phone working in the area to call for an early pick up. Only later I realized that I hitchhiked at the wrong side of the road; otherwise, we would have got a ride back to town. My native guide is a young man who speaks some English and would like to travel around the world one day. I shared with him my journal from a middle class family in Taiwan making my way to the US and now in south America. As long as he keeps his eyes and mind open, anything is possible. Resource limitations make his goals more challenging yet more rewarding, just like my backpacking traveling without much spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment