Monday, September 26, 2011

Quilotoa Lake, Ecuador

This volcanic crater lake is said to be bottomless. People usually hike down 400 meters to the bank of the lake and some hike a loop around the rim of the lake. I did the down and up back and waited at the middle up for the sun to come out and change the color of the lake. My patience paid off, since the sun reinvent to color. The village continued the festival of mama Negra that spared the area from volcano irruption, and I jointed them for the dancing to relax and keep my body warm. This town also has some obrigional artists who draw pictures with very bright color.

It was over 3900 meters high thus very cool and windy in the night, such that I had to sleep in my below zero degree sleeping bag.

I had a great conversation with a French couple and my young friend from Maine, about the sustainability of the global resources, worldwide organization of organic farming, the essence of freedom and personal scarifies to reach freedom. My French lady friend is very proud of the generosity of free medical care for foreigners in France, although she is concerned about the increasing cost. My young friend from Maine has a unique view about his life and future, and decides not go back to US ever to avoid the system. His idea life is to own 20 acres of farm land in Ecuador to raise his family independently. He has a degree in biology and knows what he wants or not want at early 20s. They were amazed by how much scarifies I made to accumulate wealth and obtain US residency. I confessed to them that I have to learn to relax and do nothing which are nature for them but not for me.

We hiked the Carter rim the next morning, but I only finished half of the rim to catch a bus to banos and escape from the cold and wind, rather than continuing hiking towards Chugchilan to finish the Quilotoa loop, a bumpy ring-shaped road, as planned.

While a bunch of backpackers were waiting for the only daily bus back to Latacunga a truck came by to solicit riders to another town with more buses to Latacunga. I and a young couple from Denmark were screzed into the front seat rather than at the back of the truck. Another new experience for me.

I dropped the idea of hiking the volcano Cotopaxi which is 5897 meters high. I don't think I an ready to hike 2000 meters in 6 hrs to hit the summit for sunrise. There was not other people interested to hike only the north face of the volcano, so I moved on to another city.

No comments:

Post a Comment