Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hike up Cerro Arco in Mendoza

I thought the directions in wikitravel was pretty straight forward, so i did not do any home work ahead. I was 1st dropped by the bus at a middle of nowhere.

The hand gestures of another passenger and a cyclist did not get me anywhere close to the Wiki description. Finally, I stopped a police car for help. The officers signaled me to jump to the back seat and gave me a ride to the trail head.

Cerro Acro is located at Mendoza's north west, topped with various antenna. It is also used as the base for paragliding. This is a popular hike for Mendocinos at the weekend, but during the week it was deserted.

No one was there, and I could not find any trail mark. So I decided to just follow the grabble road to the peak having lot communication towers. The view of Mendoza was nice, and the tempteture was perfect for hiking.

On my way down, I run into a new friend who confirmed that I took the right way (although the road did not look like a trail at all) up the mountain. We had great conversation and lunch together. Then he gave me a ride back to Mendoza before heading towards his clinic.

It was a pleasant half-day hike offering great views of both the Andean foothills behind and the vast expanse of Mendoza's plains to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment