Sunday, November 6, 2011

Way to Mendoza Argentina

I picked the worst ever seat among all the bus rides of my south american trip. The overhead countpaetment leaked freezing cool air. I kept on migrating to different seats as people on and off the bus to avoid my seat, while listening to madonna singing "Don't cry for me, Argentina" (check the lyrics online to fully appreciate my joke). I still managed to get enough sleep during the 22 hrs bus ride.

The Andes is long, and buses cost 33-50% of flights to travel along the Andes. Not all bus routes are scenic. This one is so so, reminding me route 81 from the end of route 66 towards Harrisonburg Virginia, yet almost no house along this way to Mendoza.

Beside bus rides, I also had enough of corns and potatoes in south america. Although I have only been in chile for 6 days and Argentina for 3 days, I am already sick of the limited choices of food. I saw bread and pizza all over the place.

One well-traveled friend told me that each person has a travel saturation time period, and it was too aggressive for a new backpacker like me to do the 1st trip of 3-month. After 2 months, I have already started counting down my days to go back home. I completely agree with him, but decide to executing my plan after watching the movie "G I Jane" in a bus. Comparing with SEAL training, my trip is nothing.

Whenever I feel homesick, I find something exciting to motivate myself to continue the trip. I think hiking the America's highest peak Aconcagua (highest in the world outside the Himalayas) will do it, but I need to find out the cost, time, equipment, weather and physical requirements when most trekking agencies in Mendoza open on Monday.

I walked from the hostel to downtown to stretch my legs after the bus ride. I visited the plaza independcina and the huge Park San Martín which includes a zoo, a pond and many exercise facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment